Sunday, 17 February 2013

A bit scrappy and very practical

I've been meaning to make one of these for a while, and I finally did it.

While I was about it, I made a small needle book that fits nicely under the pin cushion when not in use.  It fits over the arm of the sofa in the family room and keeps the space tidy.  Well, tidier than it was, anyway.  I used the scrappy armrest pincushion tutorial from During Quiet Time , but I made a few changes.  I didn't go scrappy--opting instead for some Joel Dewberry Aviary and solid grey and ochre.  And I attached one of the pockets before I did the straight line quilting so that I'd have divided spaces for scissors and the like.  The larger pocket on the other end holds my thimble, thread and magnifying clip-on glasses. 

Saturday, 9 February 2013

First finish of the quarter

It's not a big quilt, but it's been sitting in a box, unfinished, for about 30 years.  As planned, I picked out the hand quilting in the background, and replaced it with an overall meander.  For the binding, I tried out Mary's zig-zag method, and it worked very well.  As she says, you wouldn't use if for something special, but it was just fine for this quilt.  And, I pleased to report that it keeps the bears nice and cozy.  Or so I'm told.

So that's the first finish off my list for this quarter.

she can quilt