Saturday, 12 April 2014

Second Quarter Finish Along Wish List

Okay.  Maybe wish list isn't assertive enough, but given my poor showing the last couple of quarters, it may well be the most likely.  In fact, if I manage to finish the three things on my list this quarter, I'll be very pleased with myself.

The first is my Anita's Arrowhead quilt.  I started this after taking Anita Grossman Solomon's Craftsy course, Traditional Blocks Made Simple.  It took me forever to piece the top, but boy--are those points perfect.  Now, it's  basted, but for the life of me, I can't decide how to quilt it, or even what colour thread to use. 

The second is to make covers for these cushions.  Way last fall, my husband made this lovely little daybed for my sewing room.  He used an old mis-matched head and footboard from the 40s.  It fits a toddler bed mattress (the room isn't very large) and it's perfect for sitting in the sun as well as providing nap space for smaller guests.  Those naked cushions have been sitting there for ages, and I really need to do something with them.  I've pulled some pretty scraps for the two rectangular forms.  One will be get a quilt as you go cover, and the other will  probably be a modified Stashbuster block.  The rest will have covers made from blocks that I love, but don't have the patience to make enough of for a quilt.  Blocks like the Octagonal Orb, and Modern Dresden.

And since no list is complete without something for the girls, this time I need to finish up these cute little spring toppers.  They picked the colours themselves. (What happened?  No pink or purple?  Turns out that wasn't an option in this line of yarn, otherwise it certainly would have been the old standbys.) And it will  certainly be easy to spot them at the playground.  I think that I'll make them matching twirly skirts as well.  You can't go wrong with a twirly skirt, can you?

So, that's it for me. Should be doable. 

Linking up to Katy.
Finish Along 2014

Tuesday, 1 April 2014

First Quarter Finish Number 2

I actually finished this a few weeks ago, but I seem to find it even more difficult to blog about projects than to finish them. 

Unlike my KCW dresses for the girls, this Vogue 8731 tunic went according to plan as described in my goal setting post
The fabric was a tiny bit challenging.  The pattern called for a knit with 2-way stretch, and my fabric had 4-way stretch, but it was certainly manageable.  And, it also called for bias tape for the neckband, but I ignored that and used a strip of cross-grain fabric, just as I would for a t-shirt, and I'm really pleased with the way it lays flat against my chest.  And the horizontal pin-tucks add some very nice front shaping.

 I'd love to make something else out of this beautiful and very inexpensive Santiago knit, but it only seems to be available in the one colour.  It's incredibly comfortable, and looks nice with leggings.  I'm definitely going to make this pattern again in a longer length, though.  And, that's a second finish--a 200% improvement over last quarter.

Finish Along 2014