Wednesday 13 March 2013

Another Finish!

It's the Sea of Squares that Christa designed for another of her terrific quilt-alongs and that I had on my first quarter finish along list.



 This quilt was actually finished in February, but I've been waiting for some decent light to photograph it.  Finally, we got some sun today.  You can't tell from the picture, but even though the sun is shining, the rain is still bucketing down.  Very pretty, but not conducive to outdoor photos.

I used two Half Moon Modern charm packs and Bella Snow for the background.  It's a slightly brighter white than the background of the Half Moon Modern fabric, and I like the added subtle visual interest of using more that one white. 


For the most part, I followed the instructions, but I decided to quilt the centre square of each block with a  free motion square spiral rather than the parallel lines that were used in the smaller sections.  Between the spiral and the parallel line quilting that changes direction for the short horizontals, there were plenty of thread ends to tie off and bury.  Very relaxing

Finally, since the front is so colourful, I decided to make the back more restful.  Some of the greys come from the Half Moon Modern line, but I used a variety of greys from my stockpile of fabric.  I really like the look of the Metro Circles for the binding.



So, that's two of three finishes.  Not too shabby.


she can quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment