I think that it's time to start using this blog again, if only to keep track of what I have accomplished. it appears that once I've finished a project, I forget that I ever made it--especially if it leaves the house. I've tried to recall what I've made in the last year, but this is a pretty sketchy list. If I have a photo, that helped to jog the memory, but I don't always take them. I'll have to remedy that in the new year.
Vogue 2900 (out-of-print): A DKNY design made with Ralph Lauren fabric. Not a success, but I wish that I had realized it sooner. It looked fine at home, once I added the belt, but without shoes (it was a beach wedding), the proportions were completely wrong for me. No photo. I may update this post when the weather warms up enough to put on a sleeveless dress.
Bahama Mama Tankini top and Boy shorts by Peek-a-boo patterns: I made two of these to take to Mexico for the wedding. They looked great dry, but they drooped and sagged when wet. When I got home, I removed much of the lining, and without they extra weight, they're not as droopy. I'm not sure that I'd post a photo of me in a bathing suit even if it were warm enough for me to take one
Jalie Eleonore Pull-on Jeans: I made two pair of capri pants using this pattern. One is used for gardening (it was my wearable muslin), and the other is wearable in public--just barely. I liked the construction of these, but I'm struggling with the rise. I may try it again, or I may just move on.
New Look 8340 (out-of-print) was next. This was a beautiful linen print, but I think that it was wasted on this dress. The upper body fit well, but I ended up taking out a full 18 inches at the hemline (tapering to nothing above the waist before it looked anything like the picture. The pockets are pretty.
Style Arc Lexie: I made this from a really pretty silk/cotton blend voile. It needed serious modification to fit my vertical proportions--I mean, really--how can a person be both long-waisted, and petite? At any rate, it fits perfectly. The only change I would make would be to open the pleat (think wrap skirt) so that it doesn't bulge out when I sit.
I followed this with an upcycling project. I had a black linen shirt that I couldn't bring myself to get rid of even though I never wore it. The fabric was just too lovely. The shirt made me look like a linebacker--not oversized, but way too boxy. And, the crisp linen just made it worse. I kept the front button band and the hem-although not the hemline - and moved the pocket from the breast to the hip. I removed the collar and band, and made a more flattering round neckline. I used the fabric from the sleeves to make the neck and armhole facings. I love the slightly trapeze lines and the stepped hem. It turned out to be more of a challenge than I had expected, but I love the final result, and I may try this again with a couple of other unworn pieces that I'm keeping just because I love the fabric.
Style Arc Avery: I made this entirely from knit fabric--cotton for the top and a cotton/poly blend for the bottom. I faffed around quite a bit with this one, trying to make it fit in the upper chest. I still haven't got it right, but the top is comfortable enough, and I wear it quite a bit. I'll likely make it again, but go with the pattern recommendations to use a woven fabric for the bottom, or maybe a heavier ponte knit. This mid-weight knit really doesn't hold it's shape at the hemline that well, and this shirt is all about that great hemline.
McCall's 6571: I love this pattern! I've made two tops so far, and they both fit perfectly. I made them after watching their Craftsy class on fitting knits, so that was a big help. Essentially, I need to use a smaller size, then make a full bust adjustment. (No, I don't have a full bust, but I do have an oddly shaped rib-cage.) This is much easier than trying to make the shoulders and upper chest smaller.
McCall's 6785: I made view D with a cowl neckline and side gathers for Elyse using an embossed poly velvet. I added long push-up cuffs to extend the life of the tunic, and to echo the collar. Here she's wearing it at its maximum length.
McCall's 6947: I frankenpatterned this for Keira and used the same fabric as I did for Elye's tunic. In this case, I made view C, added long sleeves, pockets (view B), and a ruffle (view E). The weight of the fabric gives it a great twirl factor!
And that is all that I can remember. I know that I made more clothing for the girls, but I just don't remember exactly what I made.
I also made a few accessories. First a simple silk chiffon infinity scarf. I made a couple more silk chiffon scarves, but I think that I gave them away.
Then, I decided that it was time to start knitting again. This was a simple black garter stitch. More challenging than it looks, but - black. And, really long. It wraps around at least three times. And, it's quite wide. But, it's really warm, which we've needed the last couple of weeks, and I love the button.
While we were in New Zealand, I knit another scarf/shawl. The weather was miserable, so I had lots of time to work on it.
It's quite large, and knit with a lace weight alpaca.
And, the last thing that I can remember making was a needlepoint cushion cover that used up much less leftover needlepoint yarn than I had hoped. This took quite a while. I think that I started it in 2013.
And, that about wraps it up. If I think of anything else, I'll come back and edit this post. Now, it's time to move on to this year's activities. I'm going to make more of an effort to keep up to date, because it really was difficult to remember a year's worth of projects. Fingers crossed.