Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Coming along swimmingly

Okay, it's a lame title, but I'm sticking with it.  It somehow seems fitting since my first finish of 2015 is a swim suit. Yes, I finished Elyse's much needed swim suit, and it actually fits her  and looks very nice on her.  Even in bad lighting.

As I mentioned in my FAL first quarter goal list, this was a challenging project, but I'm so glad that I did it.   One of the main things I learned while making the suit is not to overlook the value of hand-stitching/basting.  For example, trying to stitch those tiny cups together was an exercise in futility until I decided to treat them like a bit of English paper piecing.  Then it took about 90 seconds. 

Since this was my first attempt at sewing this type of fabric, I only made one change to the pattern, and that was to fully line the bottoms since light-coloured fabrics have a tendency to become transparent when wet. 

And, now that I've made one project with this super stretchy, slippery fabric, I won't be afraid to tackle another.  Maybe even one for myself, though I won't be modelling it for any pictures.

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

No comments:

Post a Comment